Empoli have confirmed they have accepted the resignation of head coach Maurizio Sarri despite the 56-year-old having two years remaining on his contract.
Sarri masterminded Empoli s return to Serie A in 2013-14, and has impressed as the club retained its place, finishing 15th in the table at the end of the most recent campaign – eight points clear of danger.
Empoli s progress in the top flight has led to Sarri being linked with a hosts of clubs – including Milan, Sampdoria and Cagliari – and he is now free to discuss other opportunities.
After the meeting today, Empoli acknowledged the will of Maurizio Sarri not to continue the relationship which would have tied him to the club for another two years, Empoli announced on their official website.
…
Schalke are resigned to losing Manchester City target Leroy Sane ahead of the new season.
Former Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola has earmarked Sane for his debut campaign at the Etihad Stadium, though Schalke had been keen to keep hold of the Germany international.
Having broken into the Schalke side in 2014-15, Sane cemented his place last term, scoring eight times in 33 Bundesliga appearances.
City have already added Ilkay Gundogan, Nolito and Oleksandr Zinchenko to their squad, with Sane now likely to become their fourth new recruit.
Leroy has clearly stated that he wants to leave this summer, general manager Christian Heidel said.
We have to accept this.
We will only discuss a transfer if the conditions are best for Schalke.
…
Lukas Podolski has hinted that he may have to leave Arsenal to find regular first team football, .
The Germany international moved to the Emirates Stadium in the summer of 2012, and has gone on to make seventy-three appearances in all competitions so far, scoring twenty-eight goals.
However, his only start this season came in the 2-1 defeat to Southampton in the Capital One Cup, with the 29 year old reduced to just substitute appearances in both the Premier League and Champions League.
Danny Welbeck’s arrival on transfer deadline day saw the former Koln man fall further down the pecking order, and his opportunities are likely to be even more limited when Olivier Giroud and Theo Walcott return from injury.
Fresh from thumping Galatasaray 4-1 in th…
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has warned John Terry that he is not guaranteed a future at the club.
Terry was Mourinho s captain during the Portuguese s first spell at Stamford Bridge as Chelsea won the Premier League twice.
However, Mourinho insisted that all of his squad member must earn their place in his first season back in the Premier League.
He s not safe, and he knows he s not safe, Mourinho said of Terry.
The only thing he knows is safe is our friendship, but professionally, nobody s safe.
I know he s a very good player, but he must prove himself like everyone else.
At the other end of the pitch, Mourinho is confident that he will get the best out of Spanish striker Fernando Torres.
The former Liverpool man has yet to hit the heights e…
Frank Lampard has stressed the importance of beating Holland in a friendly on Wednesday night and believes it will give England the perfect confidence boost to reach the World Cup next summer.
England need just one more victory to reach the showpiece event in South Africa and can secure qualification by beating Croatia in their next World Cup qualifier at Wembley on September 9.
Despite the bad timing of the game against Holland, with the new Premier League season due to start just three days later, Lampard is relishing the chance to join up with his England team-mates again and wants to maintain their winning feeling with a victory in Amsterdam.
Fabio Capello has managed to transform the team since his arrival back in 2008 and has a 100 percent record in the qu…
FC Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas has ruled out the possibility of joining Manchester United this summer after insisting he is very happy with life in Catalonia, according to .
Fabregas, 26, returned to Barcelona in the summer of 2011 after eight seasons at Arsenal.
Since arriving at the Camp Nou, the Spain international who tallied 14 goals and 11 assists in 48 appearances in all competitions for Barcelona last term has found it difficult to maintain a regular starting place in the Blaugrana s first-team, and understandably so.
The departure of Thiago Alcântara and the fact that Xavi Hernández is not getting any younger seem to suggest that Fabregas opportunity to shine at Barça is now, or in the very near future.
Thus, it would have…
West Ham have completed the signing of winger Stewart Downing from Liverpool for an undisclosed fee.
The 29-year-old, who moved to Anfield from Aston Villa in 2011, has penned a four-year deal at Upton Park.
Downing links up with former Liverpool team-mates Andy Carroll and Joe Cole at West Ham, who have also added Romania international defender Razvan Rat, goalkeeper Adrian and 19-year-old midfielder Danny Whitehead to their ranks during the close-season.
The England international is relishing the prospect of a fresh start under Sam Allardyce and has declared himself fit to be considered for West Ham s Premier League opener at home against Cardiff City on Saturday.
I m very excited. It s a great opportunity for me being here, it s a great club and I m really e…
Gareth Bale s situation at Real Madrid is unsustainable and a loan move would be the best solution, according to former club president Ramon Calderon.
Zinedine Zidane announced after the 3-1 International Champions Cup defeat to Bayern Munich that Bale did not play in the pre-season fixture because he was very close to leaving Los Blancos.
Madrid coach Zidane was forthright when discussing the Welshman s future at the Santiago Bernabeu, saying: We hope he leaves soon, it would be best for everyone.
Bale s former club Tottenham, Manchester United and Bayern Munich have all been linked with a move for the 30-year-old, though the Chinese Super League is believed to be his most likely destination.
Yet Calderon predicted the finances of any exit for Bale will…
Theo Hernandez could miss the start of the Serie A season after AC Milan announced a scan on his right ankle revealed a capsule ligament injury.
The 21-year-old left-back was taken off on a stretcher in the first half of Milan s 1-0 defeat to Bayern Munich in the International Champions Cup on Tuesday.
An examination on Saturday revealed Theo, who joined in a reported €20million switch from Real Madrid, will be sidelined for at least a fortnight, after which further tests will be conducted.
The new Serie A season kicks off in four weeks, with Milan hoping to improve on their fifth-place finish in 2018-19.
45 is forced off the field with Andrea Conti coming on in his place / Hernández è costretto a uscire, al suo posto entra Conti 0-0
—…
While Arsenal might still have their sights set on mounting another title charge this season, the Gunners find themselves at the heart of a recent rut.
Crashing out of the FA Cup last weekend following a at home against Liverpool, Mikel Arteta’s side have remarkably recorded just a single win from any of their previous seven appearances across all competitions.
Missing out on several chances to climb to the top of the Premier League table, it appears that Arteta is keen on a January clear-out at the Emirates.
Although Arsenal have made it clear that will not be allowed to leave the capital on either a loan or permanent basis, we have taken a look at a few first-team stars that could be heading for the north London exit this month.
Eddie Nketiah
Alt…