Milan 3-0 SPAL: Piatek provides reminder of his class as Rossoneri cruise in Coppa Italia

Krzysztof Piatek provided a reminder of his talent amid transfer rumours with a goal and an assist as Milan beat SPAL 3-0 to set up a Coppa Italia quarter-final against Torino.

Poland international Piatek has endured a difficult second season in San Siro, having scored just four times in Serie A, but on Wednesday the reported Tottenham target looked more like his old self.

Perhaps SPAL are not the most suitable team to use as a barometer of Piatek s abilities, as they never looked a threat, but the 24-year-old showed good composure to open the scoring, before then teeing up Samu Castillejo for his glorious effort to increase the lead.

Milan continued to dominate after the break and added a third goal just past the hour – Theo Hernandez drilling home in style, s…

Salah retains CAF African Player of the Year gong

Mohamed Salah has been named African Player of the Year for the second time in succession.

Salah defended his crown after scoring 44 goals for Liverpool and Egypt in 2018, the 26-year-old finishing as the 2017-18 Premier League Golden Boot winner with 32 goals.

Liverpool team-mate Sadio Mane and Arsenal s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang also made the three-man shortlist for the award.

The nominees for the main award made up the front three in CAF s Africa Best XI of the year, with Guinea s Naby Keita providing further Liverpool representation in a midfield completed by Atletico Madrid and Ghana s Thomas Partey and Manchester City and Algeria s Riyad Mahrez.

 K I N G M O has been named CAF African Player of the Year for the second successive year.

�…

Barcelona confirm thigh injury for Kounde and hip issue for Garcia

Barcelona have confirmed Jules Kounde and Eric Garcia suffered respective thigh and hip issues in the Blaugrana s win over Valencia.

Robert Lewandowski scored a last-gasp winner at Mestalla on Saturday, as Barca claimed a LaLiga victory in response to their Champions League exit in midweek.

However, both starting centre-backs failed to make it through the game, with Garcia taken off in the 42nd minute and Kounde making way in the 74th.

Kounde, a big-money signing from Sevilla, has had a stuttering start to his Barca career, having only returned from a hamstring problem, which he sustained while on international duty with France in September, on October 16.

Barca announced in a medical update on Sunday that Kounde has a left thigh strain, while Spain defen…

Emery staying at Villarreal as Newcastle miss out on top target

Unai Emery has confirmed he will remain at Villarreal despite significant interest from Newcastle United.

Emery was said to have been made the number one target of Newcastle s new owners following last month s takeover, which saw Saudi Arabia s Public Investment Fund (PIF) take an 80 per cent share in the club, as they look to replace former head coach Steve Bruce.

Following Villarreal s Champions League win over Young Boys on Tuesday, Emery said he was aware of interest from Newcastle but had received no offer from the struggling Premier League club.

In a subsequent statement released on Wednesday, Emery praised the transparency and loyalty from Villarreal s ownership and the players amid the speculation as he revealed his decision to stay put.

Emery sai…

Paulinho linked with Inter

Corinthians midfielder Paulinho could leave the Brazilian outfit, with AC Milan reportedly interested in the Brazil international.

The Corriere dello Sport has reported the 23-year-old could be set for a switch to the Serie A in the January transfer window.

The Rossoneri have previously been linked with midfielders such as Fiorentina s Riccardo Montolivo and Ajax s Christian Eriksen, but they have now allegedly turned their attention to Paulinho.

Milan are reportedly keen to sign the midfielder on a six-month loan deal, with an option to make the move permanent at the end of the season.

Paulinho previously played in Europe at Vilnius and Lodz before returning to Brazil in 2008. He joined Corinthians last year and has since developed into a key player at …

Deportivo Quito in sight of title

Deportivo Quito defeated Emelec 1-0 away from home to hold a narrow advantage going into the second leg of the Ecuadorian Serie A final.

Fidel Martinez scored the only goal of Monday s first leg at Estadio George Capwell in Guayaquil.

The right midfielder caught Emelec goalkeeper Wilmer Zumba off guard with a snap shot 30 minutes into the match.

Emelec are likely to be up against it in Sunday s return, when Deportivo will hold a narrow lead on home soil in Quito.

Deportivo are looking to secure their fifth national title, and third since 2008, while Emelec are bidding for an 11th championship crown.

Favre takes over as Puel and Nice part ways

Nice have appointed Lucien Favre as their new head coach, replacing Claude Puel, who left by mutual consent earlier on Tuesday.

Despite a fourth-place finish in Ligue 1 this season, Nice and Puel decided to part ways, with Favre signing a three-year deal.

Lucien Favre is the new coach of Nice! The Swiss technician is committed to three years, and will be officially presented late Wednesday afternoon, a statement read.

Favre resigned from his post at Borussia Monchengladbach in September, having lost the opening five games of 2015-16.

Officiel : Lucien Favre est le nouvel entraîneur de l’ !

— OGC Nice (@ogcnice)

Puel, who was appointed by Nice in 2012, guided the club to fourth in his final season, securing Europa League football f…

Silva pens new City deal

David Silva has put pen to paper on a new five-year contract with Manchester City.

The Spain international has been a key member of City s side since joining from Valencia in 2010, playing a vital role in their two Premier League title wins in 2011-12 and last season.

And the 28-year-old had no hesitation in committing to a deal that will keep him at the Etihad Stadium until 2019.

Speaking to the City s official website, Silva said: From the moment I joined the club four years ago it has felt like a second home to me.

On and off the pitch, I feel incredibly content and fulfilled professionally and personally, so why wouldn t I want to stay and keep winning trophies with this fantastic team?

Over the last four years, we have achieved so much toge…

Tottenham 1 Burnley 1: Late Wood leveller continues Wembley woes for Spurs

Chris Wood scored a 92nd-minute equaliser on his Premier League debut for Burnley to snatch a 1-1 draw and continue Tottenham s problems at Wembley.

Spurs had lost seven of their last 10 matches at Wembley prior to Sunday s game, having been beaten 2-1 by Chelsea last time out thanks to Marcos Alonso s last-gasp winner.

But Mauricio Pochettino s men looked on track for a narrow victory thanks to Dele Alli s scrambled opener before Wood s late impact from the bench.

The striker, a club-record arrival from Leeds United earlier this week, scored the equaliser in the second minute of added time by thumping home a low finish from Robbie Brady s brilliant pass.

Alli had put Spurs ahead four minutes into the second half, smashing in a loose ball after the visit…

Juventus prepare January move for Can

The Independent understands that Juventus will move for Liverpool midfielder Emre Can when the transfer window reopens in January.

The Serie A champions were linked with a move for the Germany international during the summer but will now wait with his contract set to expire at the end of the season.

Can moved to Anfield from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer of 2014 and has since racked up one hundred and thirty-three appearances in all competitions, scoring ten goals.

Internationally he has been capped sixteen times for his country with his last appearance for them coming in Friday evening’s win over the Czech Republic.

Liverpool currently sit second in the Premier League having taken seven points from their opening three games this season.
Next up…